female claims handler

Making a claim

We've got different ways to help depending on what kind of cover you have...

Start or find out about a claim if you're a personal customer with:

  • Car
  • Home
  • Pet
  • Equine
  • Musical instrument

If you bought your personal home or motor insurance through a broker, visit our broker customer help and contact page.

If you have bought business or commercial insurance through one of our commercial brokers, here's how to contact the right people in our claims team to help: 
The following services are provided by Healix Medical Services Limited
If you need emergency medical assistance abroad
please call.
Outside UK:
+44 (0)1483 265696

Household claims

Contact details for customers with household policies (Thistle or Allianz).
or write to:
Allianz Insurance Plc
PO Box 10509
51 Saffron Road
Wigston LE18 9FP
We'll confirm your policy cover and then, depending on the situation, the following may happen:
We'll make arrangements with approved repairers and suppliers (subject to your agreement).
A loss adjuster or investigator will contact you so they can visit and gather more information for the next steps.
You'll be asked for more details, records (e.g. photos of damage) and valuations or repair estimates.
This promotional material is intended for insurance broker use only and no-one else should rely upon it.
It must not be made available to anyone other than the intended recipient, either in its original form or any reproduction.