Student house insurance: good to know

Published 16 May 2024 

Check your home insurance policy to find out if it covers students, and what it actually covers. As most students rent when they’re at university, contents cover could be included in a standard policy, but building insurance won’t be – the university or landlord would have to talk to their insurer if there’s any damage to the student property itself.

For example, our silver contents insurance provides cover up to £5,000 ( and our Gold policy provides cover up to £10,000) for loss or damage to your contents while it's being temporarily kept in any student accommodation – or in any building in which you or your family study within the British Isles.

Without taking the proper precautions, students are as vulnerable to the theft or damage of property as anyone else – especially as they rarely have any say over the home security at their accommodation.

What’s often equally important to students as the physical items, are what’s stored on them. The blow of having a laptop stolen can be as much about losing the work and any digital downloads on it, and not just the cost of getting a replacement.

Remember to back up all your files securely, but if you lose downloaded music, films or books you may be covered. With Allianz Home Insurance, for example, digital downloads are covered as standard.

As well as getting home contents insurance, students should consider personal belongings cover as well. This will protect students’ belongings while they’re out and about, so they don’t have to worry about taking their laptops and smartphones with them.

Some home insurance policies have personal belongings as standard, or they can be added on.

Allianz covers students’ belongings at lecture halls and libraries as well as in student accommodation, so if something gets stolen while they’re out studying, you should be able to claim. You can also add personal belongings cover to your policy so your belongings are even protected at the pub and the park.

Students insurance is just standard contents insurance, so you’re covered for the following:

  • fire 
  • water or oil leaks
  • theft or attempted theft – where there’s proof of force and violent entry
  • storm or flood
  • subsidence – although it’s very unlikely
  • vandalism 
  • impact. 

As well as your laptop, your smartphone, student travel cards and IDs are all covered under Allianz Home Insurance – as are course-specific items you need, like text books and lab coats. We’ve even covered claims for titanium darts, DJ decks, robotic drills and dentistry books.

One thing to note, whatever student home insurance policy you have when you’re at college or university, it’s best to check if larger items are covered. Bikes, for example, may not be.

Get a quote online in minutes...