Jewellery and valuables insurance

Published 16 May 2024 

Some insurance companies make a distinction between the ‘contents’ of your home and the ‘valuables’ in your home. For example, we class valuables as jewellery, watches, furs, items made of gold and other precious materials, works of art and collections (like stamp collections).

Other items, such as audio equipment, computers, bicycles, musical instruments and collectables, like Star Wars action figures for example, can also be valuable. But these items may not be classed as ‘valuables’.

The general rule of thumb is that if the cost of replacing an item exceeds the single item limit shown in your contents insurance, then you should consider it as valuable. You can usually ask the insurer to cover the item separately for an additional cost.

The contents of your home may be more valuable than you think. If you have home contents cover already, take a look through your documents and check the limits of your cover. You may find there's a limit for valuables that’s separate to your limit for contents.

It's also quite likely that there’ll be a limit on the amount your insurer will pay out for any one item. We call this the ‘single item limit’.

Pay particular attention to jewellery, artwork and high value tech. Remember to calculate an item's replacement value, not its second-hand value. Most insurance companies provide new for old cover, so any item that's lost or damaged will be repaired or replaced as new.

Of course, for sentimental valuable items, like family heirlooms and jewellery gifted to you by family or friends, it's not always possible to replace the exact item. In this instance the insurer may offer a cash settlement instead.


Good question! The value of gold and other precious metals varies greatly. In recent years, the price of gold has gone up considerably. So it’s worth getting your items valued on a regular basis.

A good place to start is the Institute of Registered Valuers, the UK's leading association of jewellery valuers. They can help you find a registered valuer in your area.

After valuation, you may find the cost of replacing a cherished piece of jewellery may exceed the single item limit. This could leave you out of pocket.

What is the 'single item limit'?

A single item limit is the maximum amount that an insurer will pay out for any one item. Our Home Insurance policy limit is £2,000. So, any valuable in your home that's worth £2,000  or less will be covered by your home contents insurance with us.

If you have individual valuables worth over £2,000, then you need to increase your insurance to make sure you're covered. If you don't tell us about these items and you want to make a claim, the maximum we'll pay out is £2,000.

  • Don't get caught out! Tell us about your valuable items so we can list them on your policy. They probably won't cost you much extra to insure.

We've lost count of the number of newlyweds who've lost precious wedding or engagement rings. Most of them were able to claim for a replacement on their home insurance. But beware, not all policies will cover your personal belongings outside of the home.

You'll probably need to take out additional cover to make sure your valuables are insured when you're out and about. And you should check if there's a single item limit on this type of insurance too. With Allianz you can add optional personal belongings insurance for items worth £2,000 or less. Any item worth more than this can be specified on the policy.

Get a quote online in minutes...