Brexit hub

Green cards

From 2 August 2021, the UK became part of the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA) and so UK motorists don’t need to carry a Green Card with them whilst driving in the European Economic Area.


For anyone wishing to take a trailer abroad, they should check whether it needs to be registered for use.

It's mandatory to register commercial trailers over 750kg gross weight and all trailers over 3,500kg gross weight before towing them through some European countries.

A full list of trailers can be found on the Government website.

For customers driving HGVs which are towing a trailer, a Green Card is also required for the trailer.

European Statement of Accident Form

We recommend that customers driving within the EEA also carry a European Accident Statement form. This document should be completed in the event of a road traffic incident involving a third party vehicle to provide an 'agreed statement of facts'.

International Driving Permit (IDP)

From 1 January 2021, International Driving Permits may be required when driving in some European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries. We recommend that customers check the UK Government’s current advice on driving in the EU from 1 January 2021.

More information on driving abroad can be found on Allianz Risk Management  

Through our multinational network we benefit from having partner offices in all 30 EEA territories, 28 of which are Allianz subsidiary providers. Indeed, as part of Allianz Group we are able to leverage our strong global network to continue to provide multinational solutions to the needs of our customers. Allianz is committed to supporting our customers through the Brexit journey and preparing for the impact of Brexit. 

We’ve been engaging regularly with our supply chain over the last year, preparing for the eventuality of a no deal Brexit, and to identify and mitigate any potential risks to our customers and operations. Our suppliers have been proactive in their approach by ensuring sufficient stock quantities and ensuring custom applications are submitted to ensure goods can be received after the 31 December 2020.

We’ll continue to have open dialogue with our supply chain regarding the provision of goods, transfer of data and general supplier stability. We also have relevant contingency plans and business continuity plans in place to ensure the sustained smooth running of operations. 

Following the UK’s departure from the EU, EHIC cards which previously provided limited medical cover abroad are being phased out. Instead, eligible UK residents will be able to apply for a GHIC card.

When do EHICs expire?

Check your EHIC card for its expiry date. Eventually all EHIC cards will be entirely phased out.

Who is eligible for an EHIC?

If you're ordinarily resident in the UK and not insured by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you're likely to be considered insured by the UK and will be entitled to a GHIC. More information is available on the government website.

Will I still require travel insurance?

Yes. The GHIC is not intended to replace comprehensive travel insurance.

Do I need to pay for a GHIC?

The application is free. Since there’s no charge, be wary of any website which looks to charge you.

Where do I apply for a GHIC?

For more information on the GHIC and the application process, visit the government website.

The government website hosts a number of upcoming webinars plus links to previous recordings with sector-specific advice.
This promotional material is intended for insurance broker use only and no-one else should rely upon it.
It must not be made available to anyone other than the intended recipient, either in its original form or any reproduction.