In comparison, other forms of water damage can be caused by, for instance, river flooding, coastal flooding, surface water flooding or storm damage.
Equipment in properties which utilises water (from heating / cooling systems to general pipework or waste water systems), can suffer from escape of water and there are a number of reasons why the risk of damage has increased in recent years.
- The increasing number of appliances which use water in residential properties
- Varying water pressures
- Competence of installing contractors
- Aging systems
- Modern methods of construction using materials with increased vulnerability to water damage, to name but a few.
The following type of properties are considered at higher risk:
- Multi-occupancy properties containing residential flats and apartments
- Hotels and other accommodation
- Student accommodation.