Fair Processing Notice - how we use personal information
1. Who we are
When we refer to “we”, “us” and “our” in this notice it means Allianz Insurance plc or Allianz Engineering Inspection Services Limited.
When we say, “individuals” in this notice, we mean anyone whose personal information we may collect, including:
- anyone seeking an insurance quote from us or whose details are provided during the quotation process
- policyholders and anyone named on or covered by the policy
- anyone who may benefit from or be directly involved in the policy or a claim, including claimants and witnesses.
2. How we use personal information
We use personal information in the following ways:
- to provide quotes, administer policies and policyholder claims to fulfil our contract
- to administer third party claims and prevent financial crime to meet our legal obligations
- to manage our business and conduct market research to meet the legitimate needs of our business
- to send marketing information about our products and services if we have received specific consent.
There is no obligation to provide us with personal information, but we cannot provide our products and services without it.
Anyone whose personal information we hold has the right to object to us using it.
They can do this at any time by telling us and we will consider the request and either stop using their personal information or explain why we are not able to.
Further details can be found below.
3. Automated decision making, including profiling
We may use automated decision making, including profiling, to assess insurance risks and administer policies. This helps us decide whether to offer insurance, determine prices and validate claims.
Anyone subject to an automated decision has the right to object to it. To do so they should contact us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review the decision.
4. The personal information we collect
We collect the following types of personal information so we can complete the activities in section 2, “How we use personal information”
- basic personal details such as name, age, address and gender
- family, lifestyle and social circumstances, such as marital status, dependants and employment type
- financial details such as direct debit or payment card information
- photographs and/or video to help us manage policies and assess claims
- tracking and location information if it is relevant to the insurance policy or claim
- identification checks and background insurance risk details including previous claims information
- medical information if it is relevant to the insurance policy or claim
- criminal convictions if it is relevant to the insurance policy or claim
- accessibility details if we need to make reasonable adjustments to help
- business activities such as goods and services offered.
5. Where we collect personal information
Direct from individuals, their representatives or information they have made public, for example, on social media.
From other persons or organisations, for example:
- credit reference and/or fraud prevention agencies
- emergency services, law enforcement agencies, medical and legal practices
- insurance industry registers and databases used to detect and prevent insurance fraud, for example, the Motor Insurance Database (MID), the Motor Insurers Anti-Fraud and Theft Register (MIAFTR) and the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE)
- insurance investigators and claims service providers
- other insurers or service providers who underwrite the insurance or provide the services for our products
- other involved parties, for example, claimants or witnesses.
6. Sharing personal information
We may share personal information with:
- other companies within the global Allianz Group www.allianz.com
- credit reference, fraud prevention and other agencies that carry out certain activities on our behalf, for example, the Motor Insurance Database (MID), the Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB) and marketing agencies if agreed
- our approved suppliers to help deal with claims or provide our benefit services, for example, vehicle repairers, legal advisors and loss adjusters
- other insurers , third party underwriters, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, regulators, law enforcement and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS); and other companies that provide services to us or you, for example, the Employers Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) and the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE)
- prospective buyers in the event that we wish to sell all or part of our business.
7. Transferring personal information outside the UK
We use servers located in the European Union (EU) to store personal information where it is protected by laws equivalent to those in the UK. We may transfer personal information to other members of the global Allianz Group to manage the insurance policy or claim; this could be inside or outside the EU. We have Binding Corporate Rules (BCR’s) which are our commitment to the same high level of protection for personal information regardless of where it is processed. These rules align with those required by the European Information Protection authorities. For more information about BCR’s, contact our Data Protection Officer.
Some of our suppliers have servers outside the EU. Our contracts with these suppliers require them to provide equivalent levels of protection for personal information.
8. How long we keep personal information
We keep information only for as long as we need it to administer the policy, manage our business or as required by law or contract.
9. Know your rights
Any individual whose personal information we hold has the right to:
- object to us processing it. We will either agree to stop processing or explain why we are unable to (the right to object)
- ask for a copy of their personal information we hold, subject to certain exemptions (a data subject access request)
- ask us to update or correct their personal information to ensure its accuracy (the right of rectification)
- ask us to delete their personal information from our records if it is no longer needed for the original purpose (the right to be forgotten)
- ask us to restrict the processing of their personal information in certain circumstances (the right of restriction)
- ask for a copy of their personal information, so it can be used for their own purposes (the right to data portability)
- complain if they feel their personal information has been mishandled. We encourage individuals to come to us in the first instance but they are entitled to complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) www.ico.org.uk
- ask us, at any time, to stop processing their personal information, if the processing is based only on individual consent (the right to withdraw consent).
If you wish to exercise any of these rights please contact our Customer Satisfaction Manager:
Address: Customer Satisfaction Manager, Allianz, 57 Ladymead, Guildford,
Surrey, GU1 1DB
Phone: 01483 552438
10. Allianz (UK) Group Data Protection Officer Contact details
Allianz Insurance plc and Allianz Engineering Inspection Services Limited are companies within the Allianz Holdings.
Any queries about how we use personal information should be addressed to our Data Protection Officer:
Protection Officer, Allianz, 57 Ladymead, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1DB
Phone: 03301 021837
Changes to our Fair Processing Notice
Occasionally it may be necessary to make changes to this fair processing notice. When that happens we will provide an updated version at the earliest opportunity. The most recent version will always be available on our website www.allianz.co.uk.