What you pay when you claim

Your excess is the amount of your own money you need to pay if you make a claim. So, if your total excess is £200 and you’re claiming for £500, you pay the first £200 of the claim yourself.

Your total excess is made up of two parts: your compulsory excess and any voluntary excess you’ve opted to pay.

Compulsory excess – what you need to pay

This is the amount of excess set by us. You’ll always pay this if you claim. Our usual compulsory excess for home insurance claims is £50.

Voluntary excess – what you choose to pay

When you buy your cover, you can choose to pay a bit more when you claim – on top of the amount we set. You can pay up to £750 extra.

If you’re happy to pay a bit extra if you claim, it'll bring the cost of your insurance down. The higher your excess, the lower your monthly or yearly payments.

Our home insurance excesses

Our normal compulsory excess for home insurance claims is £50. But it can be higher – up to £1,000.

If you claim for subsidence your compulsory excess is £1,000. But you won't have to pay the voluntary excess you added to your insurance. Subsidence is when the ground your house is built on is unstable and damages your house when it moves.

If you claim for damage from escaped water – like from a burst pipe – your compulsory excess is £250. You'll also pay whatever voluntary excess you chose to add.

What you pay
Your home insurance excess Your compulsory excess Your voluntary excess What you'll pay per claim
If you make a standard home insurance claim £50 £0–750 Your compulsory + voluntary excess
If you make a claim for subsidence £1,000 £0 £1,000
If you claim for escape of water (like a burst pipe) £250 £0–750 Your compulsory + voluntary excess

Frequently asked questions

Top home FAQs

Get in touch

Email us

Send us an email and we’ll get back to you on the next working day (excluding bank holidays)

Email us

Call us

We’re here 8am–6pm Monday to Friday

Call us