For information on making a liability claim, such as what we will require and contact details, select one of the options below.
Making a claim
0344 893 9500 (for Employers, Public and Product Liability)
01483 218782 (for Directors & Officers and Professional Indemnity)
PO Box 10509
51 Saffron Road
What we need
- Full name, address and contact details of the policyholder*
- Policy reference number
- The date of the incident
- Contact details for the third party
- Letter of claims notification from the third party
- Full circumstances surrounding the claim, explaining the extent of your liability/responsibility within the contract
- Contact details of witness(es)
- Details of any other involved parties, e.g. sub-contractors
- Any other relevant information central to the claim
- Details of the best person we can contact to commence the claims process.
*If the person reporting the claim or requesting payment is not the named policyholder (or appointed representative) we will require a written mandate confirming the policyholder’s consent to proceed.
For Employers, Public and Product Liability claims:
- Details and severity of the property damage/injury sustained by the third party
- Estimated value of the loss (for property damage)
- We may advise you to send us written notification of the claim, alongside the notification from the third party, to include the following:
- Accident documentation
- Confirmation of period of absence (if applicable)
- Details or photos of the damage or injury
- Full details of the product (if applicable), such as, manufacturer, technical specification, packaging and instructions
- Confirmation of how many similar products have been supplied/ manufactured (if applicable)
- Your view on liability
- Completed claim form (if requested as part of the process).
For Disease claims:
- Details and severity of the disease
- Due to the complexitites of disease claims, we would request that you send us written notification of the claim, alongside the notification from the third party, including the following:
- Details of the disease
- Letter of claim from the affected party or their representative
- Details of your employment period
- A contact number and your name
- The address of the premises where the injury occurred and confirmation that we can carry out a liability investigation there if required.
What happens next?
Due to the nature of liability claims, the process is unique to each case.
Depending on the circumstances of the claim, we will provide you with guidance and advice on the claims process and potentially request further information to help us with our investigations.
We will acknowledge and proactively manage third parties on your behalf and gather all documentation and facts essential to determining your liability.
Should you be found liable for the claims, we shall negotiate a settlement that is fair and, if they dispute the liability, we will defend the claim on your behalf.
For more information on our specialist claims services that may be relevant to your claim, download the fact sheets below.
Hints and tips
Visit Risk Director for advice and guidance to prevent further damage occurring and to avoid future liability incidents.
Once you are logged into Risk Director, you will be able to take advantage of our Health and Safety Toolkit and download relevant risk control notes, such as:
- Accident recording and reporting
- Asbestos in buildings
- Control of substances hazardous to health
- Establishing an environmental management system
- First aid at work
- Hand arm vibration (HAV) syndrome
- Health and safety of non-employees
- Lone and mobile workers
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Noise at work.