Saracens vs Munster 16.12.12

Posted on: 19 December 2012

Saracens consolidated their position at the top of Pool 1 in the Heineken Cup after a bruising win over European giants, Munster, at Vicarage Road.

England fly-half, Owen Farrell, kept his nerve to seal victory in Sunday’s absorbing encounter as the young number ten kicked three second-half penalties to boost Saracens’ chances of qualification for the quarter-finals.

After struggling at the set piece in last week’s reverse fixture in Ireland, Saracens’ line-out and scrum performed heroics, providing a solid platform for midfield runners, Brad Barritt and Joel Tomkins, to regularly pierce Munster’s defensive line.

Matt Stevens reaped havoc in the scrum whilst Will Fraser and Man-of-the-Match, George Kruis, produced superhuman efforts to stifle any quick ball for Munster.

The scores were level, ten apiece, at the break. Saracens’ scrum-half Richard Wigglesworth’s deftly weighted kick allowed David Strettle to touch down in the corner before a loose pass from Farrell was eventually punished by Munster wing, Doug Howlett, after strong work from James Downey.

The second half continued to be a physical affair. Fraser was sin-binned for a high tackle on Howlett, but despite the Irish side’s numerical advantage, Saracens’ impenetrable defensive wall hung on to deny Munster, as Farrell’s fourth penalty of the night extending their lead and clinching the win.

Saracens Director of Rugby Mark McCall said “We laid some good stuff in attack in the first half, but in the second half we really had to dig in. We had to improve some things from last week, primarily our set-piece, but we’re very good at responding to setbacks. After four games you want to control your own destiny, and things are in our own hands – if we win twice we’ll be through.”

For more reaction to Saracens v Munster in the Heineken Cup visit

The next Premiership game will be Saracens v Bath at The Recreation Ground, Bath, at 13:15 on Saturday 22nd December.